Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Christ, Salvation, Law & Postmillennialism (by Ken Gentry)



Excerpt:
Christ Perfectly Keeps the Law
The Scripture teaches that he comes to keep the Law: “Then I said, ‘Behold, I come; / In the scroll of the book it is written of me; / I delight to do Thy will, O my God; / Thy Law is within my heart” (Psa 40:7– 8). The writer of Hebrews applies this verse to him (Heb 10:5–7). He perfectly keep God’s Law in his own life: “I have kept My Father’s commandments, and abide in His love” (John 15:10b). Because of the nature of sin as transgression of the Law (1 John 3:4) Christ is sinless because he keeps the Law: “Which of you convicts Me of sin?” (John 8:46).
This being the case, he is our perfect example to follow in Law-keeping: “The one who says, ‘I have come to know Him,’ and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him; but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him: the one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked” (1 John 2:4-6). Following after Christ and keeping his commandments are synonymous according to John.

No comments: