Friday, November 1, 2013

Doug Phillips Steps Down as President of Vision Forum Ministries

Doug Phillips has stepped down as president of Vision Forum Ministries. In his statement of resignation, he writes,
There has been serious sin in my life for which God has graciously brought me to repentance. I have confessed my sin to my wife and family, my local church, and the board of Vision Forum Ministries.  I engaged in a lengthy, inappropriate relationship with a woman. While we did not “know” each other in a Biblical sense, it was nevertheless inappropriately romantic and affectionate. 
Phillips goes on to express his remorse for his actions.

Now, many of those who hate Doug Phillips because he promotes biblical male headship will probably use this as an occasion to attack him - but let us remember that we are all sinners, and we who are Christians should give him grace, just as God has given us grace. 

It is not as if Doug is trying to sugarcoat his sin. Moreover, others in his shoes may have rationalized that since they did not take the relationship to its fullest physical level, the situation could be swept under the carpet. However, Doug has confessed this sin to his wife and family, his local church, the board of Vision Forum Ministries, and even the whole world via his online statement. 

Moreover, he has stepped down as president of Vision Forum Ministries, and stepping down from positions of power is not easy. Lesser men would not have taken the steps he has taken. In taking responsibility for sinning against his family, he has been true to the doctrine of male headship that he promotes.

Pray for his family, that God heals it during these hard times. 



1 comment:

Angela Wittman said...

I've been hesitant to comment on this tragic matter because I don't want to add fuel to the fire or participate in gossip, but due to some of the self-righteous comments I've seen on other reports, perhaps I should state my opinion.
Mr Phillips recently lost his father, and while what he has confessed to is heartbreaking for him and his loved ones, let us all remember that if not for the grace of God, we could be in a similar situation. Especially since in today's culture there is more opportunity with men and women often working and serving together in ministry.
My sincere heartfelt prayers are with the Phillips family.